The Sixth Form Centre
The Sixth Form Centre is a facility and privilege provided by the School. Please look after it and use the waste bins!
- A sound system with a radio tuner, CD player and Mini Disc machine are available in two rooms for use during lunch times and breaks.
- The television and gaming machines can be used any time. Anyone using the gaming machines without paying properly will be asked to leave the Sixth Form.
- The Sixth Form Canteen is open from 8.45 am to 2.00 pm every day.
You must register twice each day, at the beginning of the morning and afternoon sessions. This is important to ensure you liaise with your tutor, obtain critical information and to ensure your safety. Your tutor has the job of keeping the official record of your attendance.
- If you are absent from School because of illness you should phone in to school before 9.30 am to inform your tutor of your absence.
- On your return to School, your tutor will ask you to sign a self certification form and give the reason for your absence.
- If you are away for more than 5 days from school get a certificate from your doctor and give it to your tutor.
- If you feel ill during the school day report to the Sixth Form Office. Mrs Deremaux will, if necessary, arrange for you to go home. Do not just leave the premises.
Your tutor has a right to request a note from home if it is felt necessary.
Illness & Accidents
The Sixth Form Secretary is a trained First Aider.
- If you are ill or have an accident at school then you must inform a member of staff. You will be referred to the school nurse and if necessary your emergency contact may be called and asked to collect you.
- Do not make your own arrangements – the school will do this for you.
- If you have medication that you need to take during the day, leave it with the school nurse. Do not carry it round the school with you.
Health & Safety
- Everyone in the school has a responsibility to those around us, and to ourselves, to ensure that we all remain safe in the school environment.
- If you see anything that could be of danger to anyone then report it immediately to a member of staff – do not try to deal with it yourself.
- Do not bring knives and other sharp implements into school.
- Do not misuse school property or equipment.
- Make sure that you know where the fire exits are and how to use them.
- Do not tamper with fire alarms or fire extinguishers.
Signing In and Out Procedure
If you want to sign out for any legitimate reason there are signing out books by the Sixth Form Office and at both entrances.
- Enter your name and tutor group.
- Give the reason for signing out, and time.
- Upon your return, remember to sign back in.
- Please remember that in an emergency this is our only way of knowing if you are on the premises. It is absolutely vital that you follow these simple procedures.
- Important notices and information are given out in tutor time and assemblies. It is, therefore, essential that you attend!
- Daily information is written on the large whiteboard in the entrance foyer of the Sixth Form Centre. Please read this information regularly.
- More general information is displayed on the Sixth Form Centre notice boards. If students wish to advertise events, etc., please see one of the Sixth Form Management Team.
- There is an electronic message board in the large common room with up to date information on it. If you wish to have a message displayed see Mrs Deremaux in the 6th Form Office.
Please come smartly dressed. Smart dress means clothes which are appropriate for a working environment. Girls should not wear tops and t-shirts which are too revealing eg strappy or crop tops, tops that display bare midrift or short skirts. No student should wear shorts.
Driving to School
- If you drive to School in your own car please park it in the far car park by the astro turf off Coburg Road. Please do not use the car park as a social area. Please do not park in the Queens Avenue car parks or the Leisure Centre car park by the Sixth Form Centre. Students should not use their cars during the school working day.
- If you bring a car to School you must fill in a green insurance form otherwise your insurance could be invalidated. These forms can be obtained from the Sixth Form Office.
- On return of the form students will be issued with a parking permit which gives permission to use the school car parks.
NOTE: Students should not arrange a driving lesson during lesson time. It may, however, be necessary to miss a lesson for a Driving Test.
The Sixth Form Counsellor
- The Sixth Form has access to a counselling service.
- If you wish to make an appointment to see a counsellor. Please see Mrs Moore to make an appointment.
- Counsellors are professionally trained and will be prepared to discuss a range of personal issues and problems with you, in fact anything connected with your personal or school life, in confidence.
If you need to go on holiday during term time please collect a leave of absence form from the office and complete and return it. You should be requesting no more than two weeks off School. You should, however, try and avoid term time holidays unless parental circumstances make them absolutely necessary.
The school is a non-smoking area for all, both staff and students.
Sixth Form students must not smoke on site, nor in the areas immediately around the school, both during the school day and whilst travelling to and from school.
The school has built up very good relationships with its local community which can easily be destroyed by if you smoke near the property of local residents.
Mobiles, iPods, Personal Stereos
- You are allowed to bring these items to school though you must take responsibility for their security.
- You should, however, only use them in the Sixth Form Centre and not around the school.